Tuesday, September 5

Blah, I got irritated at work earlier...about sports.

So I'm having an A and B conversation with one of my co-workers, talking about this weekend's college football games. I talked about the UCLA game and how dope Ben Olson played, and mentioned I saw a little bit of the USC game, but cared less about them so I changed the channel.

And then I hear this person yell out, '55 points, they scored 55 points, that is amazing.' yunno, trying to rub it in cuz she knows how much I dislike SC and proclaims herself an SC fan. And this person freakin doesn't even watch sports. She just likes SC cuz her mom went there or something like that. She probably doesn't even know who the SC's quarterback is. So just the fact she butted in from her office and yelled out that crap, I responded, 'I could care less!' And she just shut up. We're all a bunch of SC haters in my department, so before last year's BCS Championship game between SC and Texas, she was all saying 'SC this, and SC' that, SC's gonna win, etc.' And yeah, she was dead silent the day after SC lost the lead in the final seconds to loose.

Damn, I hate it when people think they know freakin sports but can't back anything up. Especially freakin bandwagon fans! I hate those! And I know this person is such a bandwagon fan!! People just can't stay loyal to their teams and instead, cheer for teams that are just doing good or winning games/championships.

As for me, I'm a loyal Los Angeles Kings, Lakers, Dodgers, Michigan Wolverines, San Francisco 49er, and UCLA fan. When they win, I love it. When they do bad, I stick with them no matter what. Hell, I've been a Kings fan since 1991 and no Cup yet. And I know this season doesn't look promising, but I still will cheer for them on. I'm not like these other people that start cheering for teams just cuz they're winning games. It drives me nuts.

Being a Dodger fan here in Orange County, I get a lot of hate from the local Angel fans here. I accept it, its expected. They dont' understand though cuz they all think I was born and raised here and that I have to cheer for the local team. They don't get it that I was raised about 50 miles north of Los Angeles so by default, I became a Dodger fan. Now yeah, I did watch the Angles when I was young, but that was only when the Dodgers weren't on T.V. And even when I was young when they went to the AL Championship series against Boston in 1986, I still didn't cheer for them.

So whenever people see me cheering for the Dodgers or rooting against the Angles, I get a lot of crap. They can say all the want, I have plenty of reasons to back mine up.

Earlier this year when I went to the Dodgers/Angels game at Anaheim, I was wearing my Dodger jersey and looking outside the team store at a replica championship trophy displayed in a window. Then this bonehead Anaheim fan sees me, and yells out while walking by, 'Geez, when was the last time the Dodgers won a World Series?' Being smart and not wanting to start a fight I just said to myslef, '1988, but we have six World Series rings to your one.'

But I just hate it cuz even though I moved to Orange County in 1997, there were no Angel fans around. It wasn't until they won the World Series a few years back that a flood of Angel fans came out of nowhere...people wearing hats, stickers/license plate frames on their car, etc. I'm not baggin on EVERY Angel fan, I know a few loyal fans, but geez, don't tell me you're an Angel fan just cuz they won the World Series and that you were a fan since 2002. And I'll admit, I was cheering for the Angels that year, but for one good reason...they were playing the San Francisco Giants, the arch-enemy of the Dodgers.

Same thing when the Ducks went to the Stanley Cup Finals. Hockey barely exists here in Southern California, so when the Ducks went to the finals, people at work and all of Orange County started jumping on the bandwagon and saying 'they're gonna win, blah blah blah.' So once they loose in 7 games, the Pond had a hard time selling out games the following year. Shoot, the Kings had a worse record the following season and still sold out more games. Yeah granted it is Los Angeles and not Anaheim, but I think a lot of it has to do more with how loyal fans are. That's just my opinion.

Some people have the 'cheer for the local team' rule, but I don't really believe that. I believe in rivalries and that true fans stick with their teams through thick and thin.

But I'm not disrespecting Anaheim teams. There's a lot of talent on both the Angels and the Ducks and they are capable of winning many games and are Championship worthy. It's these bandwagon fans of the OC that get to me. Dont call yourself a fan if you can't even name people on their roster or just because they're winning. Hell, I can probably name more players on the Ducks roster than a lot of people who claim themselves Duck fans at work can.

Okay that's my nerdy sports moment.

1 comment:

Dana said...

i SO agree about the OC bandwagoners. it's annoying!!

the only thing is that someone can be a true fan without knowing names on a roster. i was a ducks fan since the beginning but i didn't know names. at the same time, i have always cheered for them, win or lose. :)