Saturday, I watched the Michigan game and also watched USC loose! Whoo hoo! Then later that night, Ryan and I decided to celebrate our 22nd and 24th birthdays respectively with some friends at D&B's. I didn't wanna do anything originally but Ryan and I just did a lil last minute deal. Thanks to everyone that came out! Had a lot of fun. And thanks Karen for giving me one the best gifts ever....




The Jordan IV Retro in White/Military Blue/Neautral Grey!
I've stayed away from the shoe scene lately, but two of my favorite shoes were retro'd this year. I hope to get the other shoe sometime soon! Thank you very much again Karen!! I love it!
I've been fortunate receiving some special gifts on my birthday from a variety of people. I don't ask for anything, hint anything, or make some kind of wishlist. But of all the gifts I've received, and not to take away from others, I think this happens to be one of the best:

Yes it is my beloved Kings jersey!
Here's a litte story. Back in 1999, the Staples Center opened and both the Kings and Lakers moved from the Great Western Forum over to the newly built Staples Center. John Halog, Tony Dimaano, and my friend Alan planned on getting tickets to the opening night, however all tickets were sold out in minutes, so we decided to go to the second game of the season against San Jose. Anyhow, after parking at the infamous lot off of 9th and Francisco, and walking towards the Superstore, John and I noticed the new Kings jerseys that people were wearing. It was first year they wore those jerseys after changing from the old silver and black Gretzky era style. He asked me which jersey I liked the best of them, and I told him that I liked the purple one. I just liked the dark/midnight shade of purple they used, along with the silver and black tones. It has a hint of the vintage 1960's version with a touch of the silver and black era, but still representing the new era.
Anyhow, we got into the arena, sat upstairs in the 300 section which was freezing cold since the air condition vents were above us and for some reason were at full blast. John had brought his navy Nike jacket with him, but I noticed he took it off after the 2nd intermission and was freezing his butt off. I didn't really think of it at the time, just really excited that I'm actually in the Staples Center watching a Kings game.
So, a couple of weeks pass, my birthday comes up, and he presents my gift he helped arrange with some friends, along with a card. I have the card somewhere and it read, "This is why I was freezing at the Kings game." I unwrapped the gift and there was the jersey. I was freakin shocked. He apparently went to the Team LA store during the 2nd intermission, bought the jersey, and wrapped it with his jacket, and hid it the rest of the night.
Every time I look at that jersey, I always remember that day we went to the game, and the day he presented it to me. I have two more Kings jerseys with Gretzky embroidered on the back of them, and with the whole new era with the Kings, I wasn't sure who's name I'd get embroidered on the back.
Little did I know that the following January, God would take John from me and the rest of us. So later that year I made my decision who's name I wanted on the back:

Until this day, I still don't know exactly what happened with John and why he had to go. But every time I pull this out of my closet and wear it to the games, I'll always remember that day John and I went to Staples Center.
1 comment:
Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Post a Comment